Football-Ready Recipes Perfect for Game Day
2 pounds of ground beef
¾ cup instant oatmeal
3 tablespoons dried, minced onion
¾ cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
¼ cup ketchup
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 – 12 oz. bottle barbecue sauce
- In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, eggs, oatmeal, onion, cheddar cheese, ketchup, salt and pepper.
- Roll mixture into tiny meatballs about 1 inch wide.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add meatballs. Cook, frequently turning meatballs until they are browned.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer meatballs to a baking dish and cover with barbecue sauce.
- Bake for 30 minutes until sauce is thick and meatballs are cooked through.
Fried Cheese Balls
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup arborio rice
2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese (2 ounces)
½ cup shredded fontina cheese (2 ounces)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 large eggs
½ cup grated parmesan cheese
1 ½ cups breadcrumbs
Vegetable oil, for frying
1. Bring broth and ¼ teaspoon salt to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in rice, reduce heat to low and simmer until tender. Spread on a parchment-lined baking sheet and let cool completely.
2. Combine pine nuts, mozzarella, fontina and parsley in a bowl.
3. Beat eggs in a large bowl, then stir in cooled rice, add parmesan and 2/3 cup breadcrumbs. Shape the mixture into sixteen 1-½ inch balls.
4. Put remaining breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl. Press finger into center of each rice ball. Insert 2 teaspoons of mozzarella mixture; pinch the rice around the filling to enclose. Roll in breadcrumbs and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Loosely cover and refrigerate, 1 hour.
5. Heat ½ inch vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350 degrees. Working in batches, fry the rice balls, turning until golden brown on all sides, about 4 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels; season with salt.
Autumn Pasta Salad
1 8-oz package of small pasta
1 cup chopped cooked rotisserie chicken
1 cup chopped apples
1 cup chopped pears
½ cup dried cranberries
½ cup chopped celery
½ cup chopped candied walnuts
1 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons maple syrup
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
- In a medium pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta al dente. Rinse, drain, cool.
- In a large bowl, combine cooled pasta, chicken, apples, pears, cranberries and candied walnuts; mix well. If not serving immediately, add pears, walnuts just before serving.
- In a small bowl combine mayonnaise, maple syrup and salt. Blend well.
4. Just before serving, pour mayonnaise mixture over pasta mixture; toss lightly.